Friday, October 8, 2010

Today I listened to 4th and 5th grade students give campaign speeches for student council positions.  What an absolutely amazing performance to an audience of over 200 people!  There was lots of humor and chanting.  My favorite line was "I have lots of experience.  I was born before the turn of the century."  Obviously this came from one of your 11 year olds.  Although only four students could win a position, I am proud of each and every one of them.  

Here is another must read book, Out of My Mind.  This book is about an eleven year girl who has cerebral palsy and is unable to speak.  I would like to say that it is a 'feel good' book but it isn't.  Actually it made me angry.  Even though the story is fiction, I was frustrated by how a child's potential was hindered due to the views of the society around her (and this book wasn't written in 1899 like the last one).  Obviously this book had a strong impact on me. Actually, I couldn't sleep the night I finished the book because I wanted to make sure that every student here at OHE not only feels accepted but also is challenged.  Plus, I felt that it was my responsibility to help change the perception of society about students with special needs.  With that in mind, here at OHE we have a classroom of three year olds with special needs.  Because there are no other three year olds on the campus to act as peers, we look for peer buddies in the community to enroll in the class.  If you are interested in this program, please contact the school.

On another note, don't forget that Marathon Kids is tomorrow.  I will be at the finish line to congratualate the students.