Saturday, March 19, 2016

Winter Gardens

I hope you all had a wonderful spring break! I had a nice week of relaxing and spending time with friends and family! On Monday, we hit the home stretch toward summer and though we still have a lot of work to do, we inch closer and closer. There are only about 50 days left of this school year. Wow- it really has gone by fast! 

Before we officially begin spring tomorrow, I wanted to share this post about our winter gardens. 

The mild weather this winter has been good to our gardens. Our gardening club and the individual classrooms tended to the gardens to make sure they were cared for properly and had the best chance of survival. We have some huge plants! There is broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrobi, kale, many different kinds of lettuce, and I'm sure other plants that I didn't mention. Look how pretty they are! I know of a few classes that have harvested some of their plants and made a salad or cooked them for their classes to eat. What a fun thing for the students to eat food that they have grown themselves!


 

 

Our spring gardens have a lot to live up to. I hope that they can be just as bountiful so our students can experience many different types of vegetables. Maybe they'll find a few they actually like! We will see you bright and early on Monday!